Bakers Blitz | August 2018
Staff Wellfare & Wellbeing
When Employees Grow, Bakers Grows
Bakers S.A. Limited is proud to be a company that empowers its employees as best it can, by providing every opportunity for staff and workers to excel in their roles and gain extra responsibilities to reflect their skills development.
Bakers has committed itself to assisting all employees to achieve their career goals. Two instances saw Mohsin Cassim promoted from Admin Clerk to Team Leader, and Jacques Smith promoted from Team Leader to Manager.
Mr. Smith explained: “Bakers invested in my personal development, inspiring leadership through mentorship and creating opportunities for me to engage, converse and execute.”
Mr. Cassim similarly believes that his promotion can be attributed to the skills honed from the Bakers team around him: “I received much of my knowledge and experience on the floor and from my peers – I feel proud of my position.”
Bakers congratulates the pair and hopes to see many more employees climb the ranks at the company.
“Treat all with mutual respect and lead by example because being a people’s person is what will assist you in
leading your team.”
From Admin Clerk to Delivery Notes Team Leader, advice from Mohsin Cassim.
114 Graduates Employed from Bakers’ Learnership
The Bakers Learnership trains unemployed individuals as transport drivers under code 10 and code 14 with an eye to provide opportunities of employment for hardworking individuals once the course is complete.
Over the past 12 to 18 months, 150 individuals have been taken on for the Learnership, with 137 having completed the training and 114 being employed by Bakers. Learnership graduates are first employed as general workers and code 10 drivers. Based on their ability to excel, they are then promoted to code 10 and code 14 drivers.
Bakers is proud of all our Learnership graduates and look forward to see their strides in the company.
“Focus on commitment,
seek knowledge and
results will follow.”
From Team Leader to Distribution Manager, advice from Jacques Smith.
Health in the Workplace
Bakers promotes a healthy work environment,
with health and wellness considered essential for productivity and growth. As such, programmes are designed to not only encourage health and wellness on the job, but to teach practical skills as well.
1. Discovery Health Wellness Days
2. Bakers Clinic visits all sites on a national footprint to conduct annual medical screening for all employees
3. Walk-arounds on site by medical staff to talk to drivers about health
4. Quarterly Blood Bank drives arranged for employees
5. Bi-annual optometrist visits arranged for staff on-site to to get their eyes tested and prescription glasses issued
6. Annual flu vaccines & daily check-ups conducted by a qualified medical practitioner
7. Wellness newsletters issued for on the job health to promote healthy driving and lifestyle habits
8. RTMS was implemented to ensure driver fatigue is managed, road and public safety is ensured & driver is fit for duty
In addition to the above programmes, Bakers is working on wellness initiatives to empower and reward workers in their roles. These include:
• Rewarding the operations team for working extreme peak periods with days off during off-peak season
• Introducing remote working hours where possible, after a review of current work hours
• Developing the HR team to provide career assessments and professional guidance for employee
• Conducting a review to set up fitness centres at select sites over the next two years